Friday, February 26, 2010

Old Love, New Life

The relationship between guitarist and guitar is an intimate and passionate love affair, unlike any other, so it's naturally difficult to let go of an old instrument when a new one comes along. A new guitar is exciting and alluring, promising intriguing new sounds and possibilities, while the old is a faithful companion with a priceless sentimental history. As a result, many of the guitars I've acquired during the past 50 years remain in my possession, and some would qualify as vintage collectible. There are two or three that I play quite often, but the others remain in their cases for years at a time, sadly neglected, rarely played, still bearing the scars of too many gigs on the road.

About a year ago I was pondering what to do with them, perhaps at least count them as I wasn't even certain how many I had. I opened the dusty cases, played a little, and surveyed what needed to be fixed. For some, a new set of strings, fret dressing, set-up, and other minor detailing might be enough. Others, however, needed more ambitious repairs like bridge replacement, refretting, cracks fixed, etc. There were ten guitars in all, including three bass guitars and a beautiful Hawaiian lap steel from the 1930s, plus a nice Turkish Oud that I bought in Istanbul a few years ago. Every one is a fine instrument that deserves to be played, not exiled in storage for sentimental reasons!

With that in mind, I resolved to overhaul the entire collection - focusing primarily on playability and tone, and then aesthetics - to give these old loves new life so I'd be enticed to pick them up and play more often. The luthiery aspect of this project is daunting in itself, but the promise to play them afterward could prove to be even more challenging, especially with the Oud and Hawaiian lap steel which I'll first have to learn how to play. And there's always the risk I might get one fixed up really nice and play it obsessively, letting the rest of the project lapse into limbo.

Hopefully, recording my progress in this blog will help me stay on track and maintain a balanced perspective between the task at hand and my longer range goals. I gratefully thank the many guitarists, luthiers, and woodworkers who have taken the time to share their invaluable knowledge and experience online. In return, I offer this public journal of my endeavor so others might benefit as I have... welcoming feedback, questions, tips, or advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment